Tuesday Re-Cap!

by | Jun 20, 2012 | Uncategorized | 3 comments

Hi everyone! Things are going great in the wilderness. Its been VERY hot, but the boys have been troopers and have powered through it all! We have been pushing water and breaks to help combat the heat. The pool does not hurt either!

Tuesday’s schedule was busy: Breakfast was at 8:00AM (pancakes and sausage!), followed by lots of Co-op games. The Co-op’s help teach us how to work together, communicate, resolve conflicts appropriately, and take into account other peoples strengths. Following the Co-op’s, we had lunch and then a long swim time. The boys interacted with other campers in playing games, making a whirl pool and talking with the other staff. We were all impressed at how well they interacted! We took some quiet time and wrote some letters, which you should all get soon. The boys all participated in a campus-wide scavenger hunt….and WE WON! It was a lot of walking and working together, and they did a wonderful job. Dinner was hobo pies (burger, potato, carrots and cheese) and then a super yummy cherry pie! They boys made a shelter…although they said it was for me cause I was “evicted!” These guys have amazing senses of humor! The end of the night included a solo hike that focused on Philippians 4:8 and 4:13.

We have been focusing on the Salvation message and how God’s Word can influence and help us in our lives. Its very important that these young men know how to navigate the Bible, help them read and process the material, and learn how to apply it to their lives. Last nights message was focused on making sure what we see, hear, say and do glorifies God. Parents/Guardians, please read these passages along with us each night. It is by your help that we will make an impact for the Kingdom among these young men.

We have also been discussing the “big picture” and how what we do is perceived by others. Are we being selfish or selfless? Do we think of others as we go about our day? Are we being servant leaders to others? Young men are often focused inward and have a difficult time thinking of others. We are drawing the skill of servant out of the boys in the form of using manners, being aware of their surroundings and environments, and taking responsibility for their actions. One of our favorite lines this week is: “Think about life as 100%. 10% of life is the things you love to do and our passionate about. In order to do this 10%, you must do the other 90% of life which includes the things that you may not necessarily like to do or have an interest in. Parents….I challenge you to also incorporate this thinking into your daily lives, as its important to set a positive example and hold the entire family to the expectation of servant. Think about our jobs, housework, bills, etc. It also includes interacting with your children, setting effective boundaries and discipline.

An important group topic included honoring your mother and father. We directed the boys to Ephesians 6:2-3; “Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the LORD your God is giving you.” We understand that many children struggle in their relationships with their parents. We are praying that the Word of God will provide some direction and discernment to those struggling. Everyone, please pray along with us that hearts are softened, relationships are repaired, and that our young men leave camp with a new respect and understanding of the role of the parent/guardian. The second part of the scripture, Ephesians 6:4, states: “do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.” That is my challenge for you.

BLESSINGS!
Jenn

3 Comments

  1. Karen O.

    Congratulations J.O. on your accomplishments and keep up the good work!!! We’re so proud of you!!! Have fun and keep trying new things so you’ll have something new to do when you get home. Miss you! See you soon.

    Reply
  2. matt

    RR team…Love reading the posts! Thanks for all you are doing to put God in front of these kids! Keep up the hard work:)

    Reply
  3. lita

    So nice to see and hear that all is well. Once again we are grateful that L.Q. has the opportunity to experience all that you have to offer him. Reading his comments shows me the effort that he is putting into this to come out a better person for himself, his family, and those that will come in contact with him as he grows and matures through life in general. Much love to L.Q….aka as ‘KING”….when he was born. Continued prayers for you all and looking forward to your safe return.

    Reply

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.